Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Writer's Block Interviews: Sheri Fink




1)      Describe your journey to becoming a children’s author.

I wrote The Little Rose when I was going through a difficult situation. I didn't even let my husband read it at first. I put it in a desk drawer and left it there until fall of 2010 when I attended a transformational conference. I met a woman there who encouraged me to share my story and insisted that her grandchildren needed its message. When I got home from the conference, I shared the story with 20 people that I respected and trusted. Eighteen of them told me they got goosebumps when they read my writing. At that point, I started considering publishing my first children's book. I'm so glad that I did! Published in March 2011, The Little Rose has been a #1 best-seller on Amazon for over 30 weeks. The Kindle edition is also a best-seller and is currently the #2 top-rated children’s eBook on Amazon. Having the courage to write and publish my first book has completely changed my life.


2)      Where do you find your inspiration to write?

I'm inspired by my experiences and how I feel about them. I love taking something that feels like a negative and helping kids discover a way to see it in a different light, one that can be truly positive and beneficial.


3)      Please tell us about your children’s book, The Little Rose.

The Little Rose was my very first children's book. It's an enchanting story about a rose growing in a weed bed who thinks that she's the weed. She learns to accept and love herself despite her differences. It helps empower children ages 5-10 to overcome bullying and believe in themselves.



4)      Who illustrated The Little Rose? Describe your working relationship.

The Little Rose was illustrated by Mary Erikson Washam. She's so talented and wonderful to work with. We collaborated on the book via phone and email. She also illustrated my upcoming book, The Little Gnome. I love working with her!

The Little Gnome will be released March 22, 2012!

5)      Describe how you chose your publisher.

When I was considering publishing my first book, I talked with lots of authors. After learning about the traditional publishing industry and the independent publishing possibilities, I chose to self-publish. I'm an entrepreneur at heart and I believed in my book enough to invest and bring it to market much quicker than would have been possible going the traditional route. There are advantages and disadvantages to both paths, but independent publishing was the right one for me at the time.


6)      What is Author Success Academy?

I created Author Success Academy to help aspiring authors to understand how to write, publish, and market their books so that they can become successful entrepreneurs. Author Success Academy is an author mentoring program that provides the mindset, strategies, resources, and support needed for success. The 12-week program includes audio and video downloads, bi-monthly group coaching calls, an Action Guide book, expert interviews, templates and tools, and surprise bonuses all designed to transform authors' writing careers and lives.


7)      What other projects do you have in the works?

I have lots of projects in development as part of "The Whimsical World of Sheri Fink" brand right now. It's an exciting time! My second children's book, The Little Gnome, will be published on March 22. Set in a Victorian garden, The Little Gnome is a heartwarming tale about a garden gnome experiencing his first winter and helps kids of all ages embrace change while learning about the seasons.  My first children's book, The Little Rose, is being adapted for the stage and will debut later this year. I'm currently writing two new books, one that expands the universe of The Little Rose for younger readers and the next book in my series which will be released in 2013.


8)      As a best-selling author, how do you promote your work? What methods have worked best for you?

I find that a lot of people hear about my book through word-of-mouth. People who read The Little Rose tend to tell their friends and it just takes off from there. A lot of sharing takes place on Facebook and Twitter. I'm very accessible and I think people really like that. I also find in-person author events to be very rewarding. It's a lot of fun for me and it helps spread the beautiful message of The Little Rose to lots of children who need it. I feel so fortunate for all of my fans who have made this a wonderful journey for me!


9)      What advice would you offer to aspiring authors?

My best advice is to find the right mentor. A mentor is someone you can trust who can guide you in the right direction and help you overcome obstacles along the way. Learning from someone who's already successful dramatically shortens the learning curve and makes it a better experience. It's had a very positive impact on my author career so far and I highly recommend it.


10)   What is your definition of success as an author?

For me, success is hearing from children and adults that my books make a difference in their lives. I love receiving fan mail (something I never imagined would happen to me!). I want to inspire and delight children all over the world while planting seeds of self-esteem that can have lifelong benefit.

Author Bio


Sheri Fink is a #1 best-selling children’s author, founder of Author Success Academy, and an international speaker. Sheri writes books that inspire and delight children while planting seeds of self-esteem. Her first book, The Little Rose, has been a #1 best-seller on Amazon for over 30 weeks and is the #2 top-rated children’s ebook on Amazon. Her second inspirational children’s book, The Little Gnome, will be published in March 2012. Sheri’s passion for helping other authors’ dreams come true blossomed into the Author Success Academy, a mentoring program that transforms aspiring authors into successful entrepreneurs.

Contact Sheri

Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/sherifinkfan
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Sheri_Fink  (@Sheri_Fink)
The Little Rose Book Website: http://www.TheLittleRoseBook.com
The Little Rose Book Trailer: http://youtu.be/jFcDrQjxuFM


No comments:

Post a Comment